Sunday, June 17, 2007

So much for merriment

The last post illustrates not only the dangerous duality of my personality, but also how impossible it is for thinking humans to ever take too much giddy delight in life, given how horrific it can be. Indeed, yesterday I was speaking with my fellow homeless activist compatriots about this very topic. I was musing about the fact that sometimes when I meditate deeply on the tragic problems facing the world, I feel suicidal.* And one of my pals mentioned that the Existentialists grappled with this very concern. In other words, in the face of all that's darkly tragic about life, why NOT commit suicide? What's holding us back, exactly?

Existentialism is a philosophy that offers up many answers - and yet these answers are not explicit, but rather they lie embedded in the many questions that arise throughout our lives. Also, it's crucial to consider that there are many misperceptions about Existentialism - it's not as dark and dour as some make it out to be. Rather, it's a complex construct of very pragmatic ideas about a life well lived.

So how 'bout them clowns?

*Now don't go worryin' that I'm gonna go off myself any day now - I'm speaking philosophically about suicide.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Absurdism > Existentialism.