Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'd rather bathe in the furnace of Hades while gulping a glass of freshly poured sun

I've lived in central Texas, Sevilla, and Atlanta, and have traveled to the deserts of Phoenix, and even to the Yucatan, and I DO believe Greece is the hottest place I have EVER been! Of course, I say that whenever the weather anywhere seems especially sweltering, but DAMN if I am not a veritable swimming pool of sweat by the end of the day here in the birthplace of beloved canvas-splatterer, Domenicos Theotokopoulos.

They say there is a heat wave undulating its way across Greece, which would explain the occasional power outages here at the hotel.

No sign of Greek Democracy, by the way; I haven't really been looking, truth be told, as the sizzling sun has fried my eyeballs off. But you know, Greek Democracy is probably just hiding somewhere within a salty slab of feta cheese. After I've sampled all the sumptuous slabs, I'll let you know if my tastebuds should happen upon it.*

Last I heard, American Democracy was stuffed like a crumpled-up People magazine in between the cushions of the White House couch, alongside the sticky pennies and crusty food crumbs.

Of course, were I in one of my more mercurial moods, I would say Democracy has been crudely masticated by the jutting jaws of tryants - but I'm not really in that kind of mood.

My mood is, shall we say, rather SUNNY today. Blame the horrid humidity; it has dizzified my senses, inverted my otherwise irascible demeanor onto its flippant flipside, girlish giddiness.

*Not to suggest Democracy is CHEESY, cuz it ain't

No comments: