Thursday, June 14, 2007

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh"

Good GOD my blog has become dour and depressing. We need to lighten it up with some lampooning levity! I tend to have a polarized personality anyway - light and dark in equal doses. I'm not clinically bi-polar, mind you (and I certainly don't denigrate those who are - mental illness is NOT something I cavalierly mock), but my natural disposition does tend toward encompassing elements of both comedy and tragedy. But I guess that would describe most of us; it's just in some of us this feature is more pronounced.

Anyway. One of the reasons I would like to infuse the blog with a more mirthful mood is because last night I was looking at some of the writing I have done for Democracy Means You. I had forgotten just how much satire I had composed for the site (look for articles by Alison Ross), and I had forgotten that some of it was not half bad. I'm no Voltaire, but I'm no George W. Dumbass either.

So following up on this, I decided my webzine, Clockwise Cat - you HAVE read my webzine, right? - needed to have a section for satire. In fact, DUH - of course it needs to contain satire. Satire is ONLY the most elevated form of art and political dissent. What I love about satire is how it melds serious purpose with outrageous comedy and wicked sarcasm. And satire is one of the best ways to navigate traumatic times such as ours.*

So, writers and artists, submit your salacious satire to the Cat! In the meantime, look for this space to explode with malicious mirth!

*One of my favorite modern-day satirists is Steven Colbert. I don't have cable TV, however, so I don't get to see him as often as I'd like. However, I recently learned his show is available on iTunes. Snap!

No comments: