Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Canine cruelty

The recent dog fighting scandal involving Michael Vick is harrowing. What kind of society breeds such derelict disregard for animals? I'll tell you what kind of society. The kind of society that would consider the brutal rituals of football and boxing as sports and entertainment. As Alan Watts said, football and boxing are pseudo-sports.

Am I suggesting a link between American football and cruelty to animals? Absolutely. But more on that later.

I am so disheartened by the apparent prevalence of underground dog fighting. And the fact that Vick and others not only practice dog fighting but actually ELECTROCUTE some dogs is unfathomable to me. What the freaking hell?!

And the fact that some fans and teammates would SUPPORT Vick is disgusting. So what if he's a "STAR PLAYER"? He's not a STAR HUMAN, and that's what matters. I don't care if he's the Dalai Fucking Lama. Fire his ass and throw him in jail and incinerate the keys. I don't even like the conditions of jails, but dammit, make a symbol of him, and show society that animals fucking MATTER.

I need more time to digest this.

No comments: